Saturday, February 27, 2010

30.4 @ 25.6


Stayed up too late to watch Katherine Reutter qualify and put down a great effort for silver in the 1,000 meters, the 1st individual short track medal for US womens short track skating, absolutely beautful effort from a local talent. Bright futures ahead for her, she was called the "fulcrum for an overhaul of the US womens program" by an Olympics speed skating announcer. I've had the honor of sharing a ride with her father once where we talked about my use of maltodextrin for cycling.
Mens relay was pandamonium, loved it, Ohno finished strong for Bronze

Woke up at 5 and took a hard look at how I felt at 5:45. Combined with thoughts of how my knee might feel with an 11-21 in the Kickapoo hills I decided to be conservative for this one. Maybe with an 11-26 or something but my knee is still complaining from the last time I did those hills on 11-21. A head wind for the return trip and my old man back and hips not feel aligned after missing a few weeks at the spinal hypnotist were all I needed to pull the plug. In other words, I decided it was a lack of planning and feeling crappy that conspired to kabosh this attempt at long miles and I was OK about it.

Went back to bed and woke up without an alarm at 10, ran an errand and managed to scrape together a decent solo ride to the west, winds from the NW at 14 and 32°.

Loved my Kozie Prery cap, performed wonderfully although the bill did slip behind my glasses once. It was still comfortable to wear and provides about the same amount of wind block to my eyes with the bill outside the glasses shown here: Did some exploring and found some nice country roads:
effort:


I've been wanting to capture the elusive snot rocket in a photograph and today it happened:

What can I say.

Yeah, I know, pics or lies:

Learned today is the opener for the spring classics with Omloop Het Nieuwsblad today, Kuurme-Bruxelles-Kuurme tomorrow. Need to lay mine eyes on those contests.



Cant forget to exercise the ohter muscles:



Update: Head wind return trip proved brutal for those that rode out to Kickapoo from Chambana. I've got a 12-25 and dreams of finishing that route tomorrow. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment