Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Still Stunned

I'm on a roll with the riding the bike to work thing. Still getting used to aggressive drivers and being hyper-aware even after almost 2 years. I suppose that edge keeps me around longer. Speaking of, don't lock your bike like this:
Spent some time last night and today listening to Merlin Mann - "Towards Patterns for Creativity"
At 16:45 he talks about Twyla Tharp's box and I realised this blog is kinda like one of my boxes.
Poked around Merlin's site and found a few words that spoke to me:
‘How do you maintain focus (on work, dreams, goals, life)?’ You do one thing at a time. - Frank Chimero
Before you sweat the logistics of focus: first, care. Care intensely. - Merlin Mann

I wonder if it hurts to ride as much as it does to look at?
"I have yet to destroy my reflexes, however, built strong by athletics and poetry. It would be better if I did. They are a vice rather than a gift. I am too quick: I have used this quickness to destroy myself. I use it to steal things from my own pockets, my own hands, my own inclinations"
- Jim Carroll
My funky meter went off the charts and grabbed these shots no-look around my elbow as I read. There's a photography show inside but he didn't go in. I found myself curious to know his story:

I was curious about Twyla Tharp's book The Creative Habit and went looking for a free chapter .
Here's what I got:
"Over time, as the daily routines become second nature, discipline morphs into habit."
"The routine is as much a part of the creative process as the lightning bolt of inspiration, maybe more. And this routine is available to everyone."
"Creativity is a habit, and the best creativity is a result of good work habits."
"Without the time and effort invested in getting ready to create, you can be hit by the thunderbolt and it'll just leave you stunned."


These started showing up on the sidewalks alongside student election slogans and I'd like more information about them:

More blood and fur shed by my bike rack, I have no idea what happened here:
I almost thought it was art or life imitating art, or art imitating life:
Return home got really hectic at Church and Mattis with a swarm of traffic full of people really eager not to be where they were, were passing with less than 3' and fairly fast. Three major things played into it I think. One was I did not have the dont-run-me-over-bro vest and the other was I think it was a wave of people just getting off work at 4:30 and heading out of town. The third was a reduced speed on my part. I wasn't travelling at that faster speed that allows a slower manuevering and positioning by traffic. I suspect because a few people squeeze through the cattle mentality takes over and follow the leader gets played. It's just a guy on a bike. Right?


Pretty neat digital kaleidoscope







No comments:

Post a Comment