Saturday, March 12, 2011

110.5 @ 17.6

Upper 30’s to start finishing in the mid 40’s with a brutal 23 mph WNW wind and 3500’ of elevation.

P3124422

Discovered a broken spoke on the rear Rolf Aspin in last night’s pre-ride inspection and lubing. Instead of the Rolf Vector Pro with the fishing reel free hub I chose the prudent, higher spoke count Easton Vista as a spare.

P3124439

5 for the ride out from town to meet 12 others for hill repeats(11%) in a 60 mile route including Kickapoo state park.

P3124452

P3124457

P3124472

P3124468

P3124487

Tough ride for me today as I burned many matches keeping my adopted rider on the back of the pack. I think his apprehension to draft severely hindered his ride by spending lots of extra energy keeping pace just far enough back that the draft pocket closed just before his wheel.

P3124494_stitch

P3124498bw

Rest stop antics trying to figure out how anyone can ride Stone’s bike:

P3124500

Colorful locals, I think I speak for all of us when I say thanks for the giant clouds of black diesel smoke as you passed:

P3124503

Jay saved me with several packs of Sport Beans and a shot of some lemonade and pepsi (sounds gross but it was pretty tasty):

P3124505

The peach rings-o-power:

P3124508

This was squarely in the top three hardest rides I’ve done. Return headwinds were brutal with an extra thanks going to Stone Pony, Big Jay, Martin and Greg for the pulling. I didn’t take one turn at the front and consider the fact that I didn’t float off the back into headwind oblivion a major accomplishment.

P3124511

Martin is to blame for me being on a bike and not in the car for the return trip home (where I belonged). I wanted to stop random people and ask for a ride and imagined myself sitting on the side of the road waiting for the dispatched sag for the portions that I wasn’t whimpering or wondering if I was gonna’ hurl. Belly is not happy. Knees iced, recovery orzo drowned in olive oil and shredded parm, orange, pear, 2 laughing cows, glass of OJ, 1/2 flask of DIY gel, iced coffee with milk and ecosweet, and a nap. 

Like woah.

Rest of the set here, for extra pics of hill climbing riders.

No comments:

Post a Comment